Thursday, September 25, 2008

I fight: Savasana

Back in May of this year, I found myself avoiding savasana. I wrote this about my experience and what I learned about the avoidance. I forgot about it because I do not practice a long savasana - ever - until this month's challenge - and - my yoga class last night.

I forgot that the last Wednesday of the month is restorative yoga. Usually, I don't attend that class except on the days I forget that it is the last Wednesday of the month. That class always ends with a long savasana. There I was again, a few minutes in wanting, wanting, and waiting for it to be over. Why? Again, why do I dislike this pose. Oh yes, it hurts! When I begin to really relax, my very loose joints and very open body feels like it is spilling across the floor and nothing is holding it together.

Here is the final paragraph of my post from May. I'm printing it out - nice and big and putting it in my yoga room where I am headed now to practice savasana.

i fight: the feelings of instability in Savasana by accepting them and trusting that I will learn whatever they are here to teach me.

(And perhaps all I need to do is set myself up in the Judith Lasater version of savasana - many, many blankets - and I will be just fine.)

No comments: