Sunday, February 15, 2009

I Don't Know Why They Call It ONE

It is not my first choice! Actually, I do know why they call it ONE and it still is not my first choice. Ask me about Virabhadrasana II or Virabhadrasana III. I love both of those versions - strong and open and free! Virabhadrasana I has never felt like my pose in all of the years I have done it. There is something about that back leg, and there is something about that front leg. Oh yes, and there is something about the lower back and the extended arms. It doesn't feel strong and it doesn't feel balanced and it doesn't feel free. Does anyone else agree?

Maybe someday I'll learn to love it - just not today.

1 comment:

@MuseLaura said...

This cracked me up! And boy do I get it. I couldn't stand this pose for YEARS!! I just started really enjoying it last summer. I find it fascinating that so many of us love poses that others can really not like. What is it about this one that engenders such strong reactions?

For me, I felt very conflicted about the back leg. Am I turning it out too much? Too little? Torquing my knee? It just felt awkward and uncomfortable. When I began to engage it more strongly, the questions fell into place.